Properties of Flax fibers
Properties of Flax fibers: flax is a natural fiber and this fiber is used to make most of the expensive cloth which is most comfort to wear. Flax also so much popular for the comfortableness and softness. lets have a discussion about properties of flax fiber. please follow the link to read more about flax fiber. Read more
1. Length: The average length of fiber various from 90-125 cm. length of individual fiber cells are 6-65 mm (¼ inch – 2 ½ inch) and mean diameter of about 0.02mm (1/1200 inch).
2. Color: Brownish, light, ivory, grey.
3. Tensile/Strength: it is stronger than cotton fiber. Tenacity varies from 6.5 to 8 gm/denier
4. Elongation: The elongation at break is approximately 1.8% (dry) & 2.2 (Wet).
5. Bending properties: it has a high degree of rigidity and resists bending.
6. Specific gravity: 1.54
7. Effect of moisture: M.R%=12% (std)
8. Effect of heat: Highly resistant to decomposition up to about 120° C the fibers begin to discolor. Sp. Heat is 0.322. It is good conductor of heat. So linen sheet are so cold in summer season.
9. Resiliency: Low
10. Abrasion resistance: Moderate
11. Dimensional stability: Good but easily tend to crease.
1. Bleaching action: Flax (Linen) is made difficult to bleach than cotton for its huge amount of impurities, like pectin and gum.
2. Effect Acids: Flax will withstand in weak acids but is attacked by hot dilute acids or cold concentrated acids.
3. Effect of alkali: Flax has good resistance o alkaline solution for large amount of gum and waxes.
4. Effect of organic solvents: Resistant of common solvents (Acetone, ether, methyl, alcohol, Chloroform Etc.)
5. Effect of insects: Flax is not attacked by moth, grut or other insects.
6. Effect of micro-orgasms: flax has height resistance to rotting under severe. Conditions of warmth, damp and contamination how ever mildews may attack the cellulose of flax but resistance is generally high particularly if the yarn on fabric is dry.
7. Dye ability: not good affinity to dyes. Direct and vat dyes are suitable for flax fiber.
Chemical composition of flax
Raw Flax% Ratted Flax%
Cellulose 56.5 64.1
Hemi-cellulose 15.4 16.7
Pectin 3.8 1.8
Lignin 2.5 2.0
Fat & wax 1.3 1.5
Water soluble 10.5 3.9
Moisture regain (Water) 10.0 10.0
Total = 100% Total = 100%
Use of flax fiber
Flax products have been used as sail and tent canvas, fishing lines, fishing nets, book binder’s thread, and leather working threads, sewing thread, suture thread, carpet warp and union cloth cotton & flax blended at weaving stag. Flax are also used to produce clothing, household, industrial and furnishing fabric only the best portion of seed flax can be use for wool-pile rugs backing, twine and rope. The linen fiber are extensively used in fine table damasks, handkerchiefs and sheer linen fabrics, linen and Dacron blends make excellent wash and wear fabric for dresses and sports wear.
Another secretes are waste flax fibers are make in to high grade bank notes, writing papers cigarette papers. The linen makes from flax fiber is an excellent conductor of heat. Linen sheet are cold and linen garments are comfortable in hot weather.